School Opened: Fall 2012
Construction Budget: $45 Million
Funding Sources: Measure A, Measure K, State School, and Facility Program Funds
Square Footage: 89,288
Planned Student Enrollment: 850
Jessie Elwin Nelson Academy has been designed for approximately 850 middle school students in grades 6 to 8. The main entrance to the school is along Cherry Avenue with a small parking lot of 12 spaces for visitors and a bus loading/unloading area for special education students. The main parent drop-off and pick-up area runs along the most southern portion of the site entering from Cherry Avenue, exiting onto 20th Street to the north of the site. Staff parking will be on the north side of 20th Street in a lot with 80 parking spaces. The new school will have 31 classrooms, administration offices, a library/media center, gymnasium, health office, serving kitchen, multipurpose room and other support facilities. Outdoor facilities include a soccer field, five basketball courts and an open quad area with hardscape and landscape areas.
- Addresses the needs of sixth to eighth grade students living within the Poly Planning Area, per the LBUSD Facility Master Plan objectives.
- Provides a new middle school with state-of-the-art technology, science and the arts education facilities.
- Has a new gymnasium designed to be used by the community for sporting events, with accessible restrooms
and locker rooms and a regulation-sized soccer field.
The LBUSD is committed to environmentally sound practices within its building program. Key sustainable components of this project include:
- Re-use and clean-up of an existing site.
- Storm water run-off improvements.
- Increased water-permeable and green spaces.
- Use of recycled construction materials, when allowed.
- Energy saving air conditioning and heating system, which does not contribute to ozone depletion.
- High efficiency lighting systems.
- Water conservation fixtures.
- During construction, an indoor air quality management and activity pollution prevention plan in place.
Last updated: 1/19/20 9:20 PM